video games

video games

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Survey Summary (Domestic)

I would like to appreciate everyone who coopertaed with this survey about video games and children. I received the answers from 16 people which is not quite as much as my aiming number, but anyway the data collected from this survey was really beneficial for my project.

All the 16 people were under the age of 31 and the teenagers were accounting for 75% of the survey. Thankfully, the proportion of men and women were almost half and half which made me easier to search about video games from both aspects.

Now, let me move on to the specific facts I collected from the survey. To start with, I would like to introduce the data on which I thought was quite natural. Firstly, I could find out that many people held three or more video game machines which are specialized only on video games and there were less people who owned one or two game machines. I thought this was a natural number esecially for those who have brothers or sisters. However, contray to this number, I discovered that most of the people do not spend money on video games in a year and instead play free games.  Secondly almost all the people considered that children spending too much time on video games have bad effects on them like bad social skills and they also added that they would let their children play more outside rather than staying inside.

Next, I would like to introduce some surprising figures I gained from this research. Before carrying out this survey, I have been thinking that age restrictions regarding video games are important to save children from unsuitable contents. Although, more people agreed with my opinion, more than 30% of people said it is not that important to follow the age restrictions. Furthermore, the number that indicated more people do not care about their eyes while playing video games was really unexpected since I was sure everyone is familiar with the truth that playing video games have negative effects on eyes. Finally, among big numbers of video game companies existing in the world, more than 90% of people said they are familiar with "Nintendo" the most when asked about the best video game company.

To sum up the survey, I became aware that there are no rules about video games in schools or houses and some people even play video games for 4 hours or more per day. I am not saying that we should completely stop children from playing video games, but we need to limit the children from playing them to hinder negative effects.

Again thank you for the cooperation! Cheers!



2 comments:

  1. This is a very fine summary of your results. It's interesting that you found respondents did not spend money on video games and played free games instead. Perhaps there's a connection here with the music streaming group which seems to have found that most students who use streaming services don't pay anything at all. It brings up the question of how the music and game industries can sustain themselves.

    Your finding that there were basically no rules for video games in schools or homes suggests a possible focus for your NGO, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed listening to your presentation, especially the promotion video:) It was really funny. I think that funny PVs are important because it will make people want to watch them. I was surprised too that there were 30% people who do not think age restrictions are vital. I am for the restriction, so I hope real NGOs like yours will increase all over the world and decrease the 30% to 0%.

    ReplyDelete