video games

video games

Monday, July 13, 2015

Survey Summary (international)


 At first, we would like to express our gratitude to all respondents of our resarch. All the answers were invaluable and they really help us make plans of our NGO's activities.
(One thing I have ti apologize is that I could collect answers only from Japanase respondents,so I can't call it "international" survey. However, the questions were different from "domestic" resarch, so this survey is also effective.)

 The most interesting fact we found is that there is the notable paradox; about 80% people think playing video games is somehow bad for children's health, but most familly of the respondents has no rule or restrictrion about video games.
 The reason of this may be that even teenagers basically think they want their children to do what they want. In fact, about 90% of the respondents said "Yes" for the question "Would you allow your children to play video games?"  One of them wrote "I don't want to take away their enjoyment. " as the reason.

 We realized that parents are worry about bad effects caused by video games although they are afraid of getting rid of children's one of the biggest enjoyments. Based on this fact, we will make NGO which will show parents or teachers the guide to how their children or students play video games like how long time in a day,or which kind of video games they should aboid to play. For example, one of the respondent of the survey raised "Call of Duty" as his fanorite game, which is too violent for kids. In fact, about 90% people think violent and sexal video games should be restricted to be played by children.

 We have thought that playing video games is efficient when children want to make new friends. However, the survey showed that about half chldren play them by himself. Besides, according to the resarch, we can save our time and money if we don't play video games too much. Our NGO will make a good plan for playing video games which is effective enough to make chikdren's life better.

 Finally,thank you for your cooperation.

8 comments:

  1. I find it very interesting how you decided to make an NGO that is for gaming for children. I am not against games, but i think most people find that balance of how long their children should play games. But completely taking it out of someones life can make him/her crave it even more. When i was around 8 years old, i was very into online games, such as Runescape, dress up games and many more. My parents would tell me not to play games as it was a 'Waste of time' but because they put that restriction on me, i would sneak in the middle of the night to play my favorite game. When they realized my actions, they told me that i can play for an hour everyday if i made sure to do my chores and finish my homework.
    At the time i was very happy with their decision but now i honestly wish they took it out of my life for good, because now that i think about it, all the games i played were not of any value to what i know today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The paradox that you describe is an interesting one. I very much like the way your NGO developed organically from the discovery of this paradox.

    From Sherri's comment, we can see that restrictions that parents place on children is very much a "cat and mouse" game. It's interesting that she now feels her parents should have been more strict. Maturity is when we start to see things from our parents' perspective and perhaps the beginning of old age is when we become JUST LIKE our parents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your topic is so interesting, because I got to know what good or bad effect for us game has. I have never thought of whether game have some effect for us or not. I also wonder why many respondents have never been restricted, and I also think restriction is needed. When I was elementary school student, my parents restrict time I can spend on playing games. I didn't know exactly why she restricted, and I felt irritated. But now I appreciate it, because thanks to their education, I could find out how fun to play outside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, the notable paradox that you mention occurred at my house. My brother likes to play video games and he spend all day on playing it. In contrast my mother want him to stop it and work hard on study at least when he should prepare for the exam. Moreover, what is worse, they don't try to discuss about the issue. Keisuke Kimura mentioned that most familly of the respondents has no rule or restrictrion about video games. The reason of this may be that even teenagers basically think they want their children to do what they want. However i don't think so. I think they are afraid of a quarrel because of a discussion.
    I don't think that children learn nothing from video game, but it is better for children to make a rule and a promise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved playing Internet games when I was in elementary school. Games could be a good tool for not using any logic and just having fun. As you said, setting a time limit for playing games is very important. This way, for children, they could learn how to manage time and have fun at the same time. I think the problem for game violence is because they play too much of it when they are young, and they cannot understand the difference between real life and the fantasy world. This is very dangerous, so I think making rules is essential for reducing the bad effects of video games.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don’t think that violence video games are totally bad, because people might want non-real world for video games especially boys or men. Violence type of game is a kind of games, and why there are such games is because there are people who want them. But in children case, it is necessary that their parents teach them the games are only fiction. To play them is okay with education by adults. And I think it is good to keep children play outside though they are allowed to play video games some hours, because playing outside is needed for health, but if they have no experience to play games in childhood they can’t command machines like PC in the future. I think the important point is the ratio of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks to the development of technology, game has become common among young children. Playing game is interesting. Even if it rains, children can enjoy with playing games indoors. I also enjoyed playing when I was small. However, I don’t positively support to play games. Firstly, it’s because some games are violent. They don’t give good effects. Secondly, the more video games are prevailed, the less children play outside. It’s important for them to play outside because playing in nature helps to grow freely. And, their mind will be open. So, honestly, I don’t want to agree to games for children.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was surprised at the notable paradox that you mentioned, because I was limited to play video games by my parents. When I was a child, I was restricted the time I could spend on playing video games each day and the kinds of it. My parents told me that I should not only play video games but also play outside with my friends. I could learn the way to manage my time efficiently, so I appreciate my parents to have rules. From my experience, I think parents should make rules for their children when they play video games and not to play it too much.

    ReplyDelete